BBL HERO® in Salt Lake City
BBL HERO — Broadband Light Rejuvenation
At Saltz Plastic Surgery and Spa Vitoria, we take pride in offering the latest non-invasive treatments for our patients in our Salt Lake City and Park City locations. As a leader in the aesthetic world, Dr. Saltz researches and stays abreast of new procedures and treatments that he feels could benefit our patients.
The latest of these is the HERO Broadband Light platform from Sciton Lasers.
What is the BBL HERO skin rejuvenation system?
Don’t misconstrue the HERO title as some silly overpromise, it’s simply an acronym. HERO stands for High Energy Rapid Output™. BBL, as you probably know, stands for BroadBand Light. Sciton has developed, researched, and introduced this system that uses broad-spectrum visible and infrared light to selectively heat layers of the skin, getting rid of undesired pigmentation, redness, and other unwanted conditions.
BroadBand Light in the HERO system is the world’s most powerful Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) device on the market. It gives us great latitude at Saltz Plastic Surgery/Spa Vitoria for treating skin conditions associated with aging, active lifestyles, and sun damage. BBL has the ability to provide dermal renewal, permanent hair reduction, and the treatment of pigmented lesions, vascular lesions, and acne.
Specific advantages of our BBL HERO platform
Dr. Saltz decided to add the Sciton BBL HERO® to his practice because of the versatility it adds to provide the various treatments our Park City and Salt Lake patients seek. Here are some of its advantages:
- BBL HERO® delivers 4 times the speed, 3 times the peak power, and 2 times the cooling, creating greater capacity to treat more patients more quickly.
- BBL HERO® is the world’s most powerful IPL device.
- BBL HERO® enables us to treat multiple skin conditions with various wavelengths simply through different Smart Filters, making treatments streamlined and easy for our patients.
- BBL HERO® delivers greater precision. The Sciton system adjusts ten times within each pulse to ensure the pulse energy remains consistent.
- BBL HERO® has an advanced cooling system that constantly monitors the temperatures on the patient’s skin, ensuring the ultimate in safety and comfort.
- BBL HERO® has increased power and better accuracy, enabling faster treatments on a wide range of skin issues.
How is broadband light different from Intense Pulsed Light and lasers?
You can think of BBL as the new and improved version of IPL. Intense pulsed light has been known for delivering a wider bandwidth of light energy than lasers, which deliver a single wavelength. That only allows laser energy to penetrate the skin to a fixed depth to match the wavelength. Lasers can penetrate more deeply, but they also have the downside of creating more discomfort and downtime. Because BBL delivers different wavelengths, it can be used to perform several different types of treatments (photo rejuvenation, skin tightening, acne therapy, and hair removal).
When compared directly with IPL, Sciton’s new BBL HERO® provides stronger energy levels, which equate to higher levels of rejuvenation and the other attributes of the intended treatments.
What skin conditions can be treated with BBL HERO?
The secret to HERO’s versatility is not only the range of wavelengths of light energy that can be delivered, but also the ease of changing the filters that regulate the wavelengths. These filters are called Smart Filters, and here are the wavelengths that match the treatments:
- 420 = Acne
- 515 = Pigmented lesions, such as freckles and age spots
- 560 = Vascular lesions, such as cherry angiomas, telangiectasias, and rosacea
- 590 = Deeper lesions/Darker skin tones
- 590, 640, 695 = Hair removal
- Infrared light = SkinTyte™ is available as a module using infrared light energy to deeply heat dermal collagen, leading to renewed collagen foundation for skin firming
How does BBL HERO work?
HERO’s broadband light is actually broad-spectrum photothermal energy. When delivered, this energy is absorbed by the brown pigment (melanin) in the skin and the hemoglobin in blood vessels that cause redness.
As the upper layers of the skin absorb the heat and energy from the broadband light, pigmented cells are destroyed and superficial blood vessels in the treated area are closed off.
The particles of any remaining brown pigment peel or slough off within 7 to 14 days. Over the next several weeks, the body continues to absorb remnants of the destroyed blood vessels.
The BBL energy and heat also trigger the desired wound-healing response in the dermis, where the body responds by initiating production of new supplies of collagen and elastin to “heal” the perceived wounds, although there aren’t any actual wounds. This improves the skin from beneath for a period of months after treatments.
BBL HERO gives us a variety of treatment options to fit your skin issues
Broadband Light — Broadband light is the perfect treatment option for patients concerned with pigmentation issues or rosacea. Melanin in these areas absorbs the light energy, which breaks down the melanin, causing the age spots to peel away and broken blood vessels to close off and disappear.
- Pigmented lesions such as dyschromia and ephelides
- Vascular lesions such as rosacea, telangiectasia, and cherry angiomas
- Deeper lesions on darker skin types.
Forever Your BBL — This treatment is clinically proven not only to correct sun damage, but also to prevent the signs of aging skin. This non-invasive treatment delivers BBL to the epidermis and dermis, stimulating changes in skin tone, texture, elasticity, and pigmentation in just one treatment without any downtime.
Forever Clear BBL — This treatment destroys acne-causing bacteria, reduces inflammation and redness, and makes way for clear, healthy skin for both adult and teenage acne. By using different filters, we can offer a three-step acne treatment not available on other IPL platforms:
- Step 1: Blue light attacks the acne bacteria.
- Step 2: Yellow light reduces active inflammatory acne, while preventing new breakouts.
- Step 3: Infrared light delivered in rapid, gentle pulses initiates the body’s natural healing process, enhancing he benefits from the blue and yellow light applications above.
Forever Bare BBL — Our patients love the speed of the HERO’s laser hair removal capabilities. It features a large spot size, evenly heating hair follicles across the treatment area, minimizing missed spots that are typical with lesser systems. The sapphire plate on the Forever Bare BBL handpiece also provides continuous cooling, making these very comfortable laser hair removal treatments.
SkinTyte — In this treatment, the HERO uses infrared light to deeply heat the dermis, triggering new collagen production and tightening the skin. While the BBL penetrates the epidermis, the sapphire contact cooling ensures the patient’s outer skin is protected and comfortable. With SkinTyte™ there is no downtime and no need for topical anesthetic.
Is there anything I need to do to prepare for a BBL HERO treatment?
To achieve the best results, we advise our Spa Vitoria patients to do these things prior to their HERO treatment:
- Avoiding waxing the areas to be treated.
- Avoid use of topical skin care on those areas that contain retinol or glycolic acid.
- Don’t have a chemical peel for a few weeks prior to your session.
- Avoid sun tanning or exposure for one month prior, so your skin loses any tanned skin.
- Tell us if you’re prone to cold sores, as we will prescribe an antiviral medication to take for five days before your HERO session.
Are BBL HERO treatments safe?
The BBL HERO® platform from Sciton is FDA approved for the various treatments we provide. These are gentle, non-invasive treatments. They are safe for most patients. For patients with darker skin tones, there is a slight risk of hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation.
You need a BBL HERO
So, what are you waiting for? At Saltz/Spa Vitoria, we’re excited to offer the wide range of treatments with our new BBL HERO® platform. Call us at our Park City or Salt Lake City offices and schedule your BBL HERO® appointment.